Review: Decolor Hair Dye

12:30 PM

Hey there!

I'm fond of experimenting with my hair (style and color-wise). One of my friends calls me a hair chameleon, since I change my hair color to suit my mood and the situation I'm in. Since I'm tried out many different hair dyes, I've decided to review them for your reference. 


(Images above were taken from Google)

Decolor semi permanent hair dye isn't as well-known as other established brands like Manic Panic, La Riche Directions and Crazy Colours. If you live in Malaysia, it's very easy to find a place where you can purchase it. 

It's sold at Sungai Wang, shops which sell salon products in malls (Setia City Mall for example) and on Instagram and Carousell. As for those living in other countries, check out websites like Alibaba and Ebay. 

It comes in a powder form in a small sachet. The amount of product isn't enough to dye your whole head. I have thick hair, so I was only able to streak a small section of it. My friend managed to dye the entire underneath of her hair though. 

It costs about RM 3-5 for one sachet (20g) depending on the seller. You'd have to purchase developer along with the powder. They call the developer a "double oxygen milk" which is weird. Sellers usually sell the powder and developer in a set for around RM15-20, if I'm not mistaken.

I've heard that people use conditioner in place of the developer, and it works. However, it will only last about 2-3 weeks in comparison with using a developer which helps it to last for about a month or so. Mine lasted for more than 3 months, and gradually faded to a lighter pink. For some reason (porosity level maybe?), hair dye tends to stick to my hair very well.

It's important to note that you have to bleach your hair for the results to show. The lighter your hair, the more vibrant the color. Personally, I prefer using Gatsby Ex-Hi Bleach to the powder bleach and developer which they sell in beauty shops because it's far less damaging. Gatsby bleach still damages your hair to a certain extent, but the powder bleach + developer is extremely harsh. It makes your hair feel straw-like and completely damages the texture of your hair. 

As for my experience with the semi-permanent dye, I bought two colors: pink and purple. I loved the pink, it was an intensely vibrant shade. The purple color.. didn't quite turn out the way I expected it to. It was a mixture of blue and green which baffled me because the mixture was purple.

My current go-to semi-permanent hair dye is La Riche Directions now, so I don't use this anymore. I do recommend Decolor if you want to streak or dip dye your hair, since it's very long lasting.  



The brown shade is what my hair looked like before.
The pink shade is SO vibrant, I loved it.
Can you spot the blue streak at the bottom?  



This was taken roughly two months after dyeing. You can still see how bright the color is.
If you're wondering why there are so many streaks in my hair, the powder sadly wasn't enough to cover those areas, so I left it as it was.


What it looks like in a very messy bun.


You can still see a hint of pink, even after I bleached my hair twice.



I decided to write out the instructions based on what the salespeople told me, since the original instructions are impossible to understand.

Instructions: 

  1. Do a skin test to test for allergic reactions (after mixing a bit of the powder and developer). Leave on for 24 hours. If there is no allergic reaction (rashes or itchiness), it's safe to apply the product to your hair. 
  2. Make sure there are no scalp injuries (wounds or lice) and that your hair is in good condition.
  3. Using a small container/bowl, mix the powder with the developer evenly in a ratio of 1:2.5
  4. Let it settle for 5 minutes before applying.
  5. For a more vibrant color, use tin foil for heat distribution to bring out the color. 
  6. Leave in for 30-45 minutes before rinsing it off. 


Pros: 

  • Cheap
  • Has a large variety of colors.
  • Long lasting
  • Color is bright and vibrant 
  • Great for hair streaks and dip-dyeing


Cons:

  • More damaging than semi-permanent dyes
  • Small amount of powder in sachet (You have to purchase at least 4-5 if you want to dye your whole head or ombre)
  • Higher chance of being allergic to the product
  • Doesn't always produce intended result 
  • Instructions are in broken English and hard to understand


Till next time!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hai, is that gatsby hair color permanent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear, do you do delivery in Dubai???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, there's so much inoformation to know even I didn't even know few things that I found here. This website - Vioz Salon also provides so much knowledge about beauty tips, remedies too. Though the salon is also The Best Salon in Delhi Please visit once if you can or just take advantage of the website information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, I really appreciate it. Cheap Eyeliner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realluy appreciate your content. Best regards from Best Makeup Highlighter in India

    ReplyDelete